The latest study by comScore it is reported that there are 14 billion searches on Google in March and of those searches at least 20% were local. That means that there were a total ofÂ 3 billion LOCAL searches like â€˜fitted kitchens in Kenilworth’ or â€˜doctors CV8 1LU’.
Also did you know that only 15% of small to medium size businesses have actually claimed the Google Places Page (Local Business Listing) which get millions of views each and every day?
So if you are not actively marketing your business through local search optimization you are missing out on HUGE amounts of traffic and business every day. Plus by claiming your local listings you are also enabling your business to go MOBILE which is huge.
Well, considering the mobile internet market is 3 times large than the regular internet based market you should be able to see the benefits of going local. Another important thing to remember is a search on a mobile device will, more often than not, return results based on the users GPS location, so if your business is not listed in the local search results they will not even know you exist.
Here are some more interesting statistics which show the importance of local search:
- 97% of internet users gather shopping information online
- 51% explicitly characterize their behavior as â€œShop Online, Purchase Offlineâ€
- 73% of activity online is â€œrelated to local contentâ€
- 70% of online searchers will use local search to find offline businesses
- 43% of search engine users are seeking a local merchant to buy something offline
- The Kelsey Group reports that 74 percent of Internet users perform local searches
Clearly, if you are not appearing in Google (and other search engines) for local searches your businessÂ IS missing out of potential conversions.